Thursday, March 15, 2012

A little closer...

Well...we have done it. The last of the paperwork has been sent in. I faxed in the last paperwork we needed for our foster care licensing application. Now, we wait.

It seems that we are getting pretty good at that part. Waiting. That is where we have been for a VERY long time. Trying to conceive, trying to sell our house...lots and lots of waiting. But now, I actually feel like there is an end to the waiting in sight. Oh, what a wonderful feeling!

Now that the paperwork is in, our application will be sent to KDHE, and, according to the worker we met, it could be just a matter of weeks before we have out temporary license. That means we can take placements!!! I can't wait!!!

I know that this is going to be an interesting journey to say the least. There will be good things and bad. We will have laughter and tears. But we will be growing our family. I know that not every child placed with us will stay with us, but it is our goal to connect with children. Even if only for a short time, we will strive to provide love, caring and acceptance, and a piece of our hearts will be given to these children.

I'm not going to lie. I am just as much scared as I am excited. There are moments of, "What are we thinking?" and "There is no way we can do this!" It's hard to think that we are fully prepared to care for the children who may be placed in our homes. But, then I see Kristopher. I see his smile, or I hear his laughter and am reminded that every child deserves this! Each one should have the chance to laugh and smile, and just be a kid. Our job isn't to fix anyone or anything. Our job as resource parents is to love.

I know that there is more to it all, and I am in no way downplaying the struggles that we may face. There will be difficulties, but through it all, we are here to love.

Please keep us in your prayers as we move forward in this process. We are so happy to be moving forward, but know that your support can make all the difference.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will for sure be praying for you all. This is always a hard process and can be an emotional roller coaster. My parents did foster care for a while and I know it was hard for them to see kids leave just because they found another place for them. It is so easy to get attached to kids. I will be praying for Kris as well as this can be a challenging time for him as well.

Dustin and Virginia said...

Sending lots of thoughts and prayers. It is definatly a very trying time when you take care of foster children. We currently have four of them in our home, all brothers. There are MANY of those days were we say "OMG what were we thinking" "we can do this anymore" but then one of those little faces says "Love you mom", or giggles or gives you a hug and most if not all of the anxiety goes away. We go back to court on Monday and I am SOOOOO not looking forward to it.